- 25 lb large white beans, soaked overnight in water, drained
- 90 cups chicken broth (24 quarts- gallons)
- 40 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 pounds or 20 medium onions, chopped (divided)
- 1/4 cup oil or schhmaltz
- 45 (or lbs) chopped green poblano chilies
- 1/3 cup ground coriander
- 1/2 cup ground cumin
- 1/3 cup dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cloves
- 3 T cayenne pepper
- 60 cups (15 quarts) diced cooked chicken
- 45 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 15 jalapeno or serrano pepper, chopped (optional)
1 Combine beans, chicken broth, garlic and half the onions in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very soft, 2 hours or more. Add additional water (or watered-down broth), if necessary.
2 In a skillet, sauté remaining onions in oil until tender. Add chilies and seasonings and mix thoroughly. Add to bean mixture. simmer 1 hour. Puree some beans as needed to thicken. Add chicken, check seasoning, add jalapeno or serrano to level of desired hotness.
3 Serve topped with grated cheese. Garnish with cilantro,chopped scallions, and/or guacamole. Serve with fresh warmed flour tortillas or tortilla chips.