- (1 pound) firm quality white bread, sliced 3/4 inch. A nice potato bread works well or ciabatta.
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chopped blanched broccoli, or asparagus in season
- 2 cups chopped onions, green are especially nice for color
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (Optional addition, but it’s good fresh as garnish, with sour cream, avocado and salsa)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Half & Half or 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup pickled jalapeno, sliced (nice with asparagus
- or chipotle in adobo, 1/2 cup (to taste–these are spicy, I chop them, and remove some seeds
- 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp cumin
- optional: red and yellow food coloring to make custard oranger
- optional: 1 lb taco seasoned hamburger, or spicy Italian sausage, or chorizo–but it is as good with all veggies
Place 1/2 of the bread slices in a greased 13 X 9 pan.
Saute onions and blanched broccoli in little bit of olive oil.
Sprinkle bread with 1/2 cheese, jalapenos or chipotle, and broccoli .
Mix beaten eggs, milk, spices. Pour over bread in pan. Top with remaining breadslices, and then another layer of veg and cheese. Sprinkle with sliced olives.
(Depending on size of pan, you may need to press it all down lightly at this point to make certain all the bread will be moistened. In a big pan, we even had to “weight” it a little with a second pan over the top.)
Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Remove from refrigerator, let sit 30 minutes.
Bake covered at 350 for 1 hour (9×13) or 120 minutes (steamer pans), and after 45 minutes or so
Check for doneness –center set, 180 degrees. Can be refrigerated or frozen, reheated covered, leftovers microwave well.
NOTES FOR BIG POT COOKING:This makes ONE 9×13 pan, serving 10-12. Make four (4) times the recipe as part of this meal for 100, and cook it in 2 or three half steamer pans, or one electric roaster. IF THIS IS YOUR ONLY ENTREE FOR 100 PEOPLE, YOU NEED TEN (10) TIMES THIS RECIPE!!!
Also, it is essential that the bread cubes are covered with the egg mixture and completely soaked in it: weight it down overnight if necessary, put another pan over it, and then a heavy bag of rice or whatnot.
Shopping List for 100:
10 lbs bread
7 lbs colby cheese
5 cups cilantro
7 dozen eggs
Red and yellow food coloring to make orange
20 cups broccoli
5 cups chile in adobe, or pickled jalapeno-10 cups
1/3 cup salt
5 tsp pepper–scant 2 tbs
scant 1/4 cup cumin
#10 can olives
Serve with: Carrot Raisin Salad. Here’s the recipe for a crowd of 100:
8 cups diced pineapple
32 cups grated carrots
4 cups raisins
1 cup salad dressing
1 cup yoghurt (optional if you like a creamy dressing but it will muddy the pretty colors)
Drain pineapple. Save the juice. Wash, peel and grate the carrots. Add raisins and mix. Mix yogurt, salad dressing and pineapple juice. Pour over salad, stir, chill and serve.